Our Health and Safety Club member Eldapoint Ltd are container manufacturer, storage and conversion specialists.
They have five sites spread across the UK at key port locations.
The industry in which they operate is high pace and high risk which presents some serious challenges. Some of which are discussed below.
- The use of heavy machinery on site presents serious hazards which need to be carefully and well controlled.
- The fluid nature of container handling means that the sites on which Eldapoint operate change every day. As containers leave and additional ones come in the challenge is to ensure that safety isn’t compromised and all staff are prepared for the logistics.
- A proportion of the staff working in hazardous roles are foreign which brings a number of challenges. As English is not their first language communication and information sharing is more difficult. Culture differences and perceptions must also be considered.
- Due to the high risk nature of the work, the industry is highly regulated by external authorities. This presents additional challenges of successfully meeting audit requirements and managing relationships with these authorities.
- Working from different sites provides an extra challenge. Having centrally drawn up and managed safe systems of work and policies, incorporating all of the above points and more into specific site operations is challenging for all involved. Dynamic risk assessments need to be made daily, with ever changing weather conditions and layout of the site.
Our ongoing work with Eldapoint includes all five of their sites across the UK.
Our ongoing assistance sees us developing policies and safe systems of work which are rigorous enough to ensure that the high risk on site is controlled while ensuring that it allows the flexibility of the staff to successfully carry out the required works.
In such a fast changing workplace this is not an easy task.
We have worked along site Eldapoint to develop a system of generic and bespoke risk assessments and provided training to members of staff on site on how to manage the risk using this system.
Do to the transient nature of each site and there unique layouts it has been necessary to work with each on an individual basis on these systems.
To reduce the risk presented by the heavy machinery used we have provided a number of training courses for operators and assistant banksman. For qualifications such as CPCS which we don’t deliver directly ourselves we have used our trusted associates to deliver on our behalf.
It has been necessary at times to work very closely with Eldapoint at a high operational level and support them at safety meetings with the external authorities that they must have a relationship with. Tool box talks and refresher Health and Safety Awareness sessions have been held on sites to engage the workforce and include them in the implementation of improved safe systems of work as a result of their first hand experiences and knowledge. Improved workplace transport management systems have been planned, drawn up and put into operation with the input of all the site staff and visiting drivers. Resulting in a safer site and ease of access for all workplace vehicles.
This has seen us discuss issues and solutions with the Port Authorities, agree action plans and implement into the safety management system.
“randr Safety Systems have a very professional approach with a wide ranging knowledge base across diverse industries. This has helped us to find health and safety solutions speedily and effectively within an ever changing industry, Enabling us to improve the safety of our employees and those that have cause to visit our premises.”
Health and Safety Officer